Saturday, September 19, 2009

A must-watch racism exercise for kids (and adults)

http://www.pbs.org/wgbh/pages/frontline/shows/divided/etc/view.html

Obama, as the president of the US, was recently called a liar on national TV by senator Joe Wilson , while Kanya West recently sabotaged Taylor Swift's MTV video award speech .

Racism is probably the most abundant -ism in the world today, and this Frontline video does a marvelous job exploring it.

"This is one of the most requested programs in FRONTLINE's history. It is about an Iowa schoolteacher [Jane Elliott] who, the day after Martin Luther King Jr. was murdered in 1968, gave her third-grade students a first-hand experience in the meaning of discrimination. This is the story of what she taught the children, and the impact that lesson had on their lives. "

Ms. Elliott's experiment lead the children to discriminate against each other based on their brown and blue eye color and then analyzed their reaction.  The experiment was such a success, that it was adopted by various business, government and correctional institutions, where adults were subjected to similar experiments.

A very interesting bit about the kids' experiment was that a Yale research team found consistent long-term better  academic performance among the kids after the experiment!

It's a 46 minute 5-part video, worth watching every minute of it.

http://www.pbs.org/wgbh/pages/frontline/shows/divided/etc/view.html

10 comments:

  1. I'm sitting in a library, it's quiet.... relatively speaking. I'm supposed to be working. I'm tempted to do as you say and watch your vid. Err.... what to do? Any excuse not to work. Typical.

    ReplyDelete
  2. Working is overrated. Assuming you're still in the library, and you have the headsets handy, I say, watch it now, you won't regret it :)

    ReplyDelete
  3. This comment has been removed by the author.

    ReplyDelete
  4. Asif, I've watched it... again. I first watched it 17 years ago whilst sitting in a social studies lesson. Remembered it right away. I thought it was profound & interesting. Still do.

    ReplyDelete
  5. wow, I guess most folks probably have seen it huh? It's quite old and popular. But I agree, it's very very profound, yet basic.

    ReplyDelete
  6. I agree. I'll visit again.
    You are welcome to visit my blog too. It's mostly neglected, so visitors are valued.

    ReplyDelete
  7. Great so far, saw a little bit in the morning. I don't think its fair to put Obama and racism in the same sentence. It gives the idea to the general populace that if you disagree with the president you are a racist. That is a very strong word, some people might deserve it, but it creates fear and hatred. I would rather beat somebody with a clear and concise argument than deal with them with an ugly word or two.

    ReplyDelete
  8. I hear you.

    I do think that there is a good chance that Wilson's outburst was rooted in some sort of racism though, a lot more ridiculous things have been said around the congress in the past but this never happened.

    But I couldn't be sure obviously.

    ReplyDelete
  9. This is funny :D

    http://www.colbertnation.com/the-colbert-report-videos/250386/september-24-2009/the-word---blackwashing

    ReplyDelete