Sunday, September 14, 2008

Why McCain chose Palin?

People have been shocked/thrilled/disappointed by McCain's choice of Palin as his running mate. There have been several theories circulating in the media as to why did he choose her over other much more experienced and intelligent candidates, but the one theory that I think is the most viable and that jumped at me the moment I saw her was about:

1) Youth (especially compared to McCain)
2) Sex (Hillary set a precedence that Palin could benefit from)

Looks matter a lot more than people think in American elections, and McCain knew that he had lost battle to Obama. So the only chance he had was the VP and he availed it! Which seemed to have worked too, to some extent.

However, I think, come November and Obama will destroy McCain in the debates and will win, hands down, unless something big happens within the next 2 months, dramatically changing the status quo. It's not a coincidence that American forces are moving from Iraq to Pak/Afghan border right about now.

What exactly that drama is going to be is anyone's guess ... but I'll have my popcorn ready, and I suggest you do too, after all it's once in a 4 year occasion so might as well enjoy it :)

2 comments:

  1. I don't know about enjoying it, I feel a bit of anxiety as to the outcome; a dreaded sense of despair. I find it hard to respect McCain's decision to choose Palin for the reasons he stated or those that are perceived.

    Being a parent now grants me this annoying sense of awareness about the world. It creates a sense of worry that this world might not be safe for my child the way things are going. Can we get some relief?

    ReplyDelete
  2. I hear you Kam.

    I have a strong feeling Republicans will lose this November. They simply don't compare to Democrats this year, regardless of what the polls say.

    ReplyDelete